Brightwater school

Original Filename: 9.3.jpg (view)

Original Size: 894.9 KB

Original Image Type: image/jpeg

Brightwater school.

Caption

Palmer Family Collection: 9.3

Photograph from the collection of Margaret Kearns

The brick Brightwater school, with a picket fence in the foreground. Probably taken in the late 1900s or early 1920s. The brick school was opened in 1888, only allowing boys to enrol.Girls had to attend the girl's school down the road, or Spring Grove School. In November 1889 the first girl was admitted to the school.

The brick building was damaged in the Murchison earthquake in 1929 and a new wooden building was built to replace it.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion