"Wattie's Run": Nelson's little-known link to a Kiwi canning legend.

url: http://rustlingsinthewind.blogspot.co.nz/2017/04/watties-run-at-wangapeka-nelsons-little.html

By the end of the 19th century, the NZ Government was coming under growing pressure to find land for a population increased by immigration and the number of earlier settlers' children and grandchildren now wanting farms of their own. Large sheep runs in Marlborough (like the Starborough Station, which became Seddon) and the Amuri (like Culverden), were broken up for resettlement, sometimes without their owners' consent, thanks to an 1894 amendment of the 1892 Lands for Setterment Act.

In the Nelson Province, the progress of the railway from Belgrove to Motupiko (now Kohatu) by 1899, followed by its advance to Tadmor by 1906, was a direct response to demands that the back blocks of the Upper Motueka Valley and the Buller be opened up for farming. In 1907 a block of Crown leasehold land in the Wangapeka Valley was subdivided for this purpose, and among those lucky enough to win a section at ballot in the new Wangapeka Settlement (later known as Matariki) was one Bill Wattie, a shepherd from Hawarden in North Canterbury.


Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion