History of the Catholic Church in Richmond

A short history of the church written by Roderick John O’Connor and a supplement to the Oral History Interview conducted with him on 28 August 1984.

Filename: History_of_the_Catholic_Church.pdf ( download )

Size: 729.7 KB

Document type: application/pdf ( )

Abstract

History of the Catholic Church in Richmond was written by Roderick John O’Connor and is a supplement to the Oral History Interview conducted with Mr. O’Connor on 28 August 1984.

The history is four pages long and is divided into three sections covering the period before 1939, from 1939-1960, and 1960 to the 1980s.

On page four is a hand written addition, the wording of which reads:

"Rev. Father. Joe Cullens S.M. started saying Mass at Mr and Mrs Claud Wells home at Wensley St, and later Rev Father John Seymour S.M. continued the practice.  It was during that period that a committee was formed under the leadership of the then Parish Priest to try and find a suitable? with the aim of forming a Richmond Parish.  The Committee consisted of Rev. Father J. Seymour S.M.  (Chairman), Mr Jack Sullivan (Secretary), Mr H. Wells, Mr. Sullivan, Mr A. A. Cook, and ? W. A. Cook.

The Richmond Public Hall was offered for sale, and in due time purchased for £83.  The health regulations required a few minor alterations to be made before Mass could be held. It was with great rejoicing and God’s blessing that Mass was finally said in the hall, and Richmond Parish was formed.

12 families "    



Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion